Size – 6-9mm.
Description – Uniformly dark brown over the head, pronotum and elytra with a dense covering of light brown hairs. Ridges running the length of the elytra are obvious. The legs and antennae are a more chestnut/red brown colour. The antennae are short, not extending beyond the end of the pronotum.
British and Irish distribution of Agriotes sputator (Linnaeus, 1758) based on records held by the National Biodiversity Network.
Distribution data supplied by:
- National Trust
- Bristol Regional Environmental Records Centre
- Countryside Council for Wales
- Thames Valley Environmental Records Centre
- Natural England
- Leicestershire Environmental Resources Centre
- Greenspace Information for Greater London
- Environmental Records Centre for Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly
- Staffordshire Ecological Record
Distribution – Fairly well distributed in south-eastern England up to the East Midlands. Scattered records in Wales and in England up to Tyne and Wear.